5/10/2012

Black sheep and UDC/SVP. Racism and Populism in Switzerland (originally published the 11/29/2009)

I published this text originally the 29th of November 2009 : "I photographied in 2009  these black sheep in Fribourg, Switzerland. Like this view first but then watching it, I realized that I shot a political photo not only something I believed as very beautiful. I explain me .. history . in 2007 Swiss People’s Party (UDC / SVP, an extreme right political party) has caused debate with the design of a propaganda poster. The infamous “black sheep” poster (you can here this creepy poster http://img.timeinc.net/time/daily/2007/0709/postcard_pomy_0921.jpg depicted three white sheep kicking a black sheep out of Switzerland, accompanied by the caption “for greater security”, demonstrating again the party’s tendency to play on fears. The iniative was fortunately largely rejected by Swiss people. And 2 years after, I'm very pleased to see that black sheep are still quietly feeding on. For me, the real black sheep in Switzerland is this political party.

ps : if you want to know more about this story, please read this excellent article of Time Magazine http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1664269,00.html"


Post a Comment

Popular Posts